16 August 2015

Pointless video post – ‘Stargazer’ by Rainbow


Just some classic Ronnie James Dio-era Rainbow for you! I’m somewhat ashamed of myself that I was introduced to this song via Rachel Barton Pine’s and ex-Trouble bassist Ron Holzner’s band Earthen Grave’s cover of the same, but then, that is indeed what happens when you get into modern doom metal before you get into its classic rock antecedents. Yes, yes, I know I’m still listening to music that is far older than I am. (Though in my own defence, my wife does like Dio about as much as I do, if not more.) There is just so much going on in songs like these, so much depth, and Dio’s vocals of course give the song exactly the sort of epic quality the lyrics would demand. They don’t make ‘em quite like this anymore, that’s for sure! Do enjoy, gentle readers.

2 comments:

  1. Great post! Ronnie James Dio is the only heavy metal vocalist my father likes. I might be wrong about this, but I think Dio started his career as a crooner of sorts before getting into hard rock/heavy metal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi John! Thanks for the comment, and sorry it takes me so long to reply!

    But yes, that could be the case about Dio. This album, Rising, is the earliest of Dio's work I have yet, so I'm not too sure.

    ReplyDelete