30 April 2017

Where my loyalties lie


May Day is not only International Labour Day. In the Orthodox Church in America, tomorrow is also the feast day of the Holy Prophet Jeremiah. And because it is, in this country, Loyalty Day as well: I hereby affirm my loyalty to the God and King for whom, and the ekklēsia to whom, the Prophet spoke when he said these words:
“Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,
   his upper rooms by injustice,
making his own people work for nothing,
   not paying them for their labor.
He says, ‘I will build myself a great palace
   with spacious upper rooms.’
So he makes large windows in it,
   panels it with cedar
   and decorates it in red.
“Does it make you a king
   to have more and more cedar?
Did not your father have food and drink?
   He did what was right and just,
   so all went well with him.
He defended the cause of the poor and needy,
   and so all went well.
Is that not what it means to know me?”
   declares the LORD.
“But your eyes and your heart
   are set only on dishonest gain,
on shedding innocent blood
   and on oppression and extortion.”
- Jeremiah 22:13-17

No comments:

Post a Comment